Sister is wild?

Home Page Forums Family Life Sister is wild?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of joshguy929 joshguy929 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of joshguy929
    joshguy929
    Participant

So since my dad has been sick, my older sister (20) has been getting wilder and wilder. She seems to drink all the time. In fact I caught her drinking alone in her room during winter break. I’m really worried about her but when I tried to talk to her about, she shut me out and got really angry. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do? I didn’t want to tell my parents and make them worry, but I also don’t want her to hurt herself like this

Profile photo of gmbz
    gmbz
    Participant

I had a younger sister who was definitely indulging in some unhealthy habits. I felt just as conflicted as you and I think you need to use your own judgement. You know her and you know when too much is too much. I know it can be scary and its so unfair that it falls on you to get her in line. Also, I totally get what you mean about not wanting to put more on your parents plates but don’t forget that they are still parents. They want to make sure their kids are ok, no matter what.

Profile photo of mhwolf
    mhwolf
    Participant

i’ve got two younger sisters and both have had difficulty after losing my mom. the older of the two has seemed to level out after starting college and moving away, but the younger one is still in middle school and seems to be lashing out in many unhealthy ways. she’s voiced that my dad is never around and is always at work or spending time with his girlfriend. she’s really nice to her and makes my dad happy, but she is taking up an uncomfortable amount of my dad’s time. a large part of that is still the fact that my mom’s not around, and even moreso because she passed away long enough ago that my sister only has hazy memories (she was 6). the rest of us have tried to help both of them but i mostly just hear arguments and yelling from both whenever they interact.

Profile photo of hope2015
    hope2015
    Participant

I think that both during illness and also after the passing, my siblings and myself had very different reactions. I’m sure it’s just hard to understand each other and your emotions are all over the place. Sometimes people cope in good ways and others not so much. Like mhwolf said, you can try to help but its not so easy when they don’t want to hear it.

Family life is always tough during these times but you just have to hang in there and have faith that your sister will come through. If you really do think she’s self-harming though, I would definitely let your parents know!

Profile photo of joshguy929
    joshguy929
    Participant

Thank you all so much! It really helps to know that this isn’t just something happening to me and my family. I will definitely keep an eye on her and try to use my best judgement

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.