Significant others

Home Page Forums School and Friends Significant others

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bumpy bumpy 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rainbowfish
    Rainbowfish
    Participant

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of you have SO’s and if so, how they have been about the whole situation? The loss of my father is always a heavy topic to cover when dating and I feel like it scares people off. I’m not even sure when to tell them because it seems awkward no matter when I do.

Profile photo of Mgreenie13
    Mgreenie13
    Participant

I have a somewhat similar question except my mom is now remission. I’m not sure if it’s lying now if I don’t bring it up given how recently she was pronounced cancer free. Either way, it is not something that should make anyone think any less of you <3

Profile photo of jsk94
    jsk94
    Participant

I worry about this too, not just with dating but with meeting anyone. Sometimes I have to lie and pretend my dad is perfectly normal. I know he’s still around and fighting so it’s different but I feel like this is completely normal.

I never know the right time to tell people and I hate that look they get as soon as they know but it’s not something to be ashamed of at all! Hopefully the good people out there who find out will simply support you more.

Profile photo of gmbz
    gmbz
    Participant

Hey danibeff,

This may sound strange but oddly enough I’ve found that I’ve connected with a lot of people who have gone through similar experiences and it makes the connection stronger. Not sure why I keep dating people who have experienced loss (its not something I knew beforehand) but maybe something draws us all together? Either way, the ones who haven’t have been extremely understanding. Don’t worry so much, you’ve been through enough!

Profile photo of bumpy
    bumpy
    Participant

My boyfriend who was with my while my mom was sick actually changed after my dad passed. I don’t think he could handle it (not emotionally mature). Sometimes people just suck and it makes no sense. Either way, there are plenty of fish in the sea!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.