Pressure to drink but I'm scared

Home Page Forums School and Friends Pressure to drink but I'm scared

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jsk94 jsk94 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jsk94
    jsk94
    Participant

I was so ready for college but then my dad was diagnosed. Everyone here seems so carefree and all they do is have fun. I know that’s probably not the case for everyone but I always feel so distant from everyone else.

I have really great friends here but I keep avoiding going out. I’m afraid to drink too much and get emotional. I know that I feel sad and am in pain all the time over my dad’s disease but I’m scared of not being able to control when I express or expose those feelings. At the same time, I want to have fun every once and a while and cut loose.

Anyone else struggling with this dilemma?

Profile photo of gmbz
    gmbz
    Participant

I totally get where you’re coming from. My dad was diagnosed just before I left and I felt disconnected as well. My suggestion is to trust your gut and not push yourself. If you feel like going out and drinking, go for it! If not, I would hope your friends wouldn’t judge you. If they do, they aren’t your real friends and I promise you will find better ones. The friends I first made in college were not the ones I ended up with!

Profile photo of bumpy
    bumpy
    Participant

I would say definitely don’t push yourself. I actually tried to and found myself leaving parties to go home and break down. At the same time, I had a friend who found that it was helpful to go out and have fun and didn’t have any emotional breakdowns (that I know of) from it! Trust your gut, friend!

Profile photo of laylaloo
    laylaloo
    Participant

Just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with what everyone said above. Don’t worry about how people view you. If they judge you they aren’t worth it because they have no idea what you’re going through

Profile photo of jsk94
    jsk94
    Participant

You guys are amazing! I was probably worrying a little too much but I know that in the end it won’t matter. I’d rather just be me than worry about who will judge me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.