Parents keeping secrets

Home Page Forums The Diagnosis Parents keeping secrets

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Annienonymous Annienonymous 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ledzep
    ledzep
    Participant

So my parents recently broke the news that my dad has esophageal cancer but they aren’t really giving me any more information. When I try to ask them about it, they push the conversation in a different direction and tell me that it is not something I have to worry about. I know they’re trying to protect me but I feel like I am going to be completely blind-sided if something happens? Advice greatly appreciated

Profile photo of IslanderMP
    IslanderMP
    Participant

I sure they are just trying to do what they think is best for you. Maybe try talking to them and explain that it makes you more upset to not know what’s going on then it would to know the reality of the situation, no matter how bleak?

Profile photo of hope2015
    hope2015
    Participant

My parents did a similar thing and it sucked. They ended up blindsiding me when things got very bad and I wasn’t prepared at all. I am not mad at them, I understand that they wanted me to not worry and to go one with my life, but I do feel that I would have preferred to be kept a little bit more in the loop. If I could go back, I would have talked to them and let them know that I could handle it. Stay strong!

Profile photo of Annienonymous
    Annienonymous
    Participant

This is rough. Hang in there friend! My parents are kind of hush hush on my dad’s cancer status too. I feel like I have to keep pushing them for details. I hate it but I guess I can understand what IslanderMP said. No one knows what the right way to handle this is.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.