How do friends act after a parent passes?

Home Page Forums School and Friends How do friends act after a parent passes?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of geekgirl231 geekgirl231 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rainbowfish
    Rainbowfish
    Participant

I was just wondering what others’ experiences have been?

I remember that after my father passed and I returned to school, it seemed like at first, friends were super supportive. But after a few weeks of them being especially supportive, they sort of dwindled down and stopped checking in.

All I wanted was for friends to ask me, “how are you?” every once and a while. I guess they just didn’t want to bring it up. What they didn’t get was that whether they mentioned it or not, it was always on my mind. It always will be.

Profile photo of geekgirl231
    geekgirl231
    Participant

So i’m sure its different for lots of people but I think at first people are pretty cautious around you, at least for me. It was kind of weird because they started treating me differently and were afraid to say, talk about their families or parents, or mention happy things even. I finally actually had to talk to my closest friends and tell them that it was ok to be happy and ok that they had both their parents but it honestly all came from a good place.

I did have one friend who just got weird and couldn’t help it, I think because his dad was sick and it was scary to see that you could lose someone? It sucked but I honestly didn’t have enough energy to care.

Otherwise, after a few months they all began treating me normally. Which is what I wanted but at times I did wish they would ask me how I was doing and not just assume my outward demeanor was really how I felt. Don’t get me wrong, I am happy but there are times I wish it didn’t seem like people think I’m “over it” so to speak!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.