Hard to talk to friends

Home Page Forums School and Friends Hard to talk to friends

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mgreenie13 Mgreenie13 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nikkixo
    Nikkixo
    Participant

Sometimes I struggle to confide in friends because I worry about burdening them with my situation. I know I can trust my best friend, and I know she isn’t bothered when I vent/rant but it still feels so wrong. Anyone else go through this?

Profile photo of geekgirl231
    geekgirl231
    Participant

Hey, I can absolutely relate to this. When I found out my mom was sick, I didn’t want to tell anyone. It can be so awkward breaking the news people and in the end you’re stuck trying to make them feel better and less awkward. It has been frustrating realizing that some friends will go out of their way to check in, whereas others will act like nothing’s changed in your life.

Profile photo of IslanderMP
    IslanderMP
    Participant

Wow. Took the words right out of my mouth! I try to keep to a close group of friends and family. Can’t really talk about it with just anyone. Always do feel guilty when openning up to close friends though, and it can be really awkward when it all just comes flying out of nowhere. My friends all tell me not to worry, and I think maybe we’re just being overly critical of ourselves. Definitely have found out who the good friends are during this time.

Profile photo of Nikkixo
    Nikkixo
    Participant

Thank you guys so much for responding! I guess I will try to cut myself some slack and trust that it really isn’t a burden to my friends!

Profile photo of Mgreenie13
    Mgreenie13
    Participant

Just wanted to say that geekgirl is so right – I lost a bunch of friends but I found the true ones and they were ALWAYS there to support me. They never let me slip by and they weren’t selfish. It meant the world to me. My friends helped me get by and I hope your friends are supportive, kind and understand. What’s more – I hope they never assume they understand what you’re feeling. I know it upset me when friends compared my situation to losing a grandparent and talking about themselves. I know its human nature to want to relate but then I felt like I was comforting others. Sorry its a bit off topic! But I want to make clear that there are so many great supportive people!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.