Feeling lost

Home Page Forums The Diagnosis Feeling lost

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bumpy bumpy 2 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of IslanderMP
    IslanderMP
    Participant

My dad was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I feel so lost, like I have nothing to hold on. I want to talk to people but I’m worried the second I say it out loud that I’ll lose it. How did you guys feel when your parents were diagnosed? What did you do to get through this?

Profile photo of Nikkixo
    Nikkixo
    Participant

Hey, I just wanted to say hang in there. I know I’m not in your exact situation and I can’t understand exactly how you feel but if it means anything at all, time makes it easier. At least when I first found out, I felt numb. I knew I should be crying but I just sat there thinking about the word cancer. A few days later, I finally broke down and lost it. It sucked to cry that hard but it did help me feel a little better.

Talking to my best friend has helped me feel less alone. Also, going to the gym! I realized its really important for me to keep taking care of myself. Of course, some days I just can’t help but feel sad/angry/bitter/confused/anxious etc.etc. but I do my best to keep moving forward, focus on my school work, take time for myself, and honestly let myself cry.

Please keep us posted and don’t hesitate to post a new thread! I hope this helps a little!

Profile photo of jsk94
    jsk94
    Participant

I’m so sorry you and your family have to go through this. I’m in the middle of it too and it just sucks. I wish I knew a better word but “sucks” seems to work best. When I found out I felt like I got hit in the gut. I shed a few tears and just hugged my dad.

So far I’ve found that sports has really helped me. I play football and it helps me get out my anger and gives me something to focus on. I can use the training to help me distract myself. Best of luck to you

Profile photo of bumpy
    bumpy
    Participant

It was the worst feeling in the world and I immediately burst into hysterics. It really did feel like my whole world turned upside down and like yesterday was a lifetime ago. I spent a lot of time cooking and baking (my favorite hobbies), reading, and talking to friends. I tried to stay focused on my school and activities. Most importantly, I enjoyed each and every moment I could with my mom. This is the worst but you are stronger than you think

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.