Best friend's mom survived

Home Page Forums School and Friends Best friend's mom survived

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bumpy bumpy 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of giantsfan9087
    giantsfan9087
    Participant

So my best friend’s mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and he just found out that she is officially in remission. He has been really supportive while my dad undergoes treatment for colorectal cancer but now I think he’s been kind of distant from me? Idk, it just seems like he doesn’t want to listen to me and my hopes, fears and frustrations anymore. I guess I understand that he really just wants to move on from cancer but I feel really hurt. He was one of the few people I opened up to.

Profile photo of bumpy
    bumpy
    Participant

Hey Giantsfan9087 – while this is slightly different maybe it will help a bit? When my mom was diagnosed, my best friends mom had been sick with ovarian cancer for a year. She was the first person I called and I spent the diagnosis day crying to her. While she was so helpful and great at first, I realized that we both had very different ways of coping. I was super open about my mom and she was not. She preferred not to discuss it which was pretty hard. It meant that in order not to hurt her or make her upset, I had to be upset and bottle up my thoughts and feelings.

We had to take a short break from our friendship for a little. We never discussed it but it just kinda happened. I am happy to say that we are now just as close as before. Sometimes people need to cope in different ways. I hope you have many other wonderful friends that help you feel comfortable opening up. Of course we’re all here for you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.