Being distant

Home Page Forums Family Life Being distant

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of joshguy929 joshguy929 2 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ledzep
    ledzep
    Participant

guys,

I don’t know what to do. I love my father and I want to spend time with him but I find myself becoming more and more distant and shutting him out. Has anyone else done this? I feel so terrible about sometimes ignoring everything. I guess I feel like if I spend time with him I’ll just lose it. But I know that if I don’t spend more time with him there is a good chance I might regret it.

Profile photo of jsk94
    jsk94
    Participant

You’re not alone. I am the same way with my dad sometimes. Its just so hard to see him and not wonder how long I might have left.

Profile photo of Rainbowfish
    Rainbowfish
    Participant

As someone who did try to spend as much time as possible with my dad, obsessively check in, try too hard, etc. even I had moments (days, weeks) where I couldn’t cope and ignored him (not so much that he tried to reach out and I said no but just didn’t make an effort). Especially when he got very sick. It physically hurt to see him like that. And while I am ashamed of that, I do think it is human nature and that these things are so very complicated and difficult. Don’t beat yourself up. You are cognizant of it and you feel guilty about. Push through it, spend time with him, and I promise you will never regret it! At the same time, everyone needs a chance to check out mentally with this situation. Just make sure you don’t check out too long.

Profile photo of joshguy929
    joshguy929
    Participant

i totally understand what you mean, man. it can be so uncomfortable spending time with them because you don’t want to talk about the reality yet is there a way to really avoid it? try and be there tho bc if you dont because you were scared you could really come to regret it. yet if it’s truly too uncomfortable dont beat yourself up bc im sure your dad would understand. you’re not alone! im still trying to figure it out too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.